The Verdict is in

It has been 10 days since Wolsey’s surgery, and things are looking good. Don’t get me wrong, he is uncomfortable, on a pain management regimen and still home from work, but having a hysterectomy, oophorectomy, vaginectomy (the three of those are commonly referred to as HOV), in addition a metoidioplasty and scrotoplasty were performed. Overall this was a major undertaking.

The surgery itself went really well, as was detailed in the multiple smaller posts earlier. We met the two main doctors, Dr. Meltzer and Dr. Ley, but in addition we met the person responsible for the HOV itself, Dr. Webb. A very entertaining man to talk to. He chatted us up more about the nitty gritty of the surgery than either of the metoidioplasty and scrotoplasty surgeons.

At the surgery I met Jeff, the most absolute fantastic nurse I have met. He was fabulous with a capital fab. He was sure to inform me every two hours by phone how the surgery itself went.

When Wolsey got out of the surgery, the doctors all contacted me directly and relayed to me that he had lost less than two tablespoons of blood total. The surgery went textbook and there were absolutely no issues. I picked him up two days later, and then the ordeal began.

He looked great. Don’t get me wrong, he was swollen, stitched and not able to move well, but it was in pretty darn good condition considering. The whole time he kept being in awe of having the changes. I am sure it was partially the pain meds, but his glee was pretty overpowering.

The five days at the hotel room were cool and cavelike. With temperatures of about 107 degrees, it really wasn’t a place I wanted to go outside in (but I did to retrieve him food). Over the course of those five days he was starting to heal up just fine.

Sadly, our flight home that Friday did in all that progress. The fact we were held up for over an hour, the plane didn’t have AC and just the pain meds giving up on him resulted in Wolsey being in pain for most of the flight. It has taken about four days to recover.

So here we are four days after getting home, and ten days after surgery and the swelling is going down, and he is ecstatic. I am ecstatic too. I am sure I will have more anxiety in the future, but the joy he has, the running around exclaiming how mighty he is, is more than worth it.

So I can say as of now, the verdict is in, and the surgery was a great success!



This entry was posted in All Articles, Lucky's Articles (AG) and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to The Verdict is in

  1. Lesboi says:

    Glad to hear he’s doing so well and you all are home safe. Congrats to Wolsey and you both.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s